- Would rather to grammar?
- Is it better not or had not better?
- Would rather than examples?
- Would prefer in a sentence?
- Where do we use rather than?
- What is had better example?
- Will be improved meaning?
- What does the idiom had better mean?
- Would rather or had better?
- How do you use had better in a sentence?
- What is the difference between prefer and rather?
- What does would rather mean?
- Could it be worse meaning?
- What is another word for better?
- What is the meaning of you better?
- Would it be better meaning?
- Would rather and had rather?
- What is rather than mean?
Would rather to grammar?
I would rather (‘I prefer’, ‘I would prefer’) is used as a modal auxiliary verb.
It is followed by the infinitive (without ‘to’) when its subject is the same as the subject of the next verb.
This happens when we talk about what we would prefer to do..
Is it better not or had not better?
Had better: negative and question forms The negative of had better is had better not (or ‘d better not): … The question form of had better is made by inverting the subject and had.
Would rather than examples?
“I’d rather handle the problem myself.” “I had rather go home than stay out too late.” “I had rather listen to my parents or get in trouble.” “I would rather exercise than sit on the couch all day.”
Would prefer in a sentence?
Preference. (Would rather & Prefer) They would prefer you to start tomorrow. I prefer to have finished it yesterday. I prefer him not to go alone. They would prefer me not to live in London.
Where do we use rather than?
Typically, the base forms of the verbs are used (often with to omitted before the verb following rather than). For exercise, I walk rather than run. He decided to call rather than text. Rather than repair the car, I prefer to buy a new one.
What is had better example?
When the advice is strong, use had better with or to show the negative result of not following your advice. You’d better take an umbrella or you will get wet. He’d better remember to wear a neck-tie or they won’t let him in the restaurant. I think I had better take them or they will get lost.
Will be improved meaning?
“Will be improved” refers to a state of being improved. You’ve improved, and now you’re done. The process is over. You do not continue to improve. The reason “will improve” sounds better is because what you’re really saying is that the classes will kickstart the process.
What does the idiom had better mean?
/best Usage Problem. To be wise or obliged to; should or must: He had better do what he is told.
Would rather or had better?
– “Would rather” and “had better” are followed by a bare infinitive (=without to). – When we want to use the negative form, we place “not” right before the bare infinitive, NOT after “had”. – For questions, we simply invert “would” or “had” and the subject, and leave the rest the same.
How do you use had better in a sentence?
I had better (‘it would be a good idea if I’, ‘it would be better for me to’) is used as a modal auxiliary verb: I had (or I’d) better sleep now. It would be a good idea for me to sleep now.
What is the difference between prefer and rather?
They have much the same sense but there is an important structural difference: rather is an adverb and prefer is a verb. This means that what follows differs: Rather must be followed by a bare infinitive verb when indicating something specific. The exception is its use as a response, specifically: I would rather not.
What does would rather mean?
1. used for saying that you would prefer to do something or that you would prefer that something happened. I’d rather you didn’t mention this matter to anyone else. He doesn’t want to learn – he’d rather stay at home and play video games.
Could it be worse meaning?
used for saying that a situation is better than it might have been, although it is still bad. Could be worse.
What is another word for better?
Some common synonyms of better are ameliorate, help, and improve. While all these words mean “to make more acceptable or to bring nearer a standard,” improve and better are general and interchangeable and apply to what can be made better whether it is good or bad.
What is the meaning of you better?
It’s a little threatening or playful, depending on the context. It means “you should if you know what’s good for you” Between friends it suggests the friend expects the subject to do something. In a hostile situation, the speaker is threatening punishment if the subject doesn’t do something. See a translation.
Would it be better meaning?
“It would be better to” is a suggestion for improvement or a criticism but “It will be better to” is an explanation of or a justification for a decision already taken. … It would also explain why the experience of a website under development or at the prototype stage is less good than it should be.
Would rather and had rather?
they are both the same in meaning – when you prefer to have or do one thing more than another. Although, ‘had rather’ is more archaic and not as commonly used as ‘would rather’.
What is rather than mean?
(Entry 1 of 2) 1 —used with the infinitive form of a verb to indicate negation as a contrary choice or wishrather than continue the argument, he walked awaychose to sing rather than play violin.